Monday, February 28, 2011

Um from Umbridge


Um from Umbridge, originally uploaded by alington.
Um from Umbridge, by Tonner Doll Company, made her arrival on Saturday. She's an enlarged Alice Kingsleigh sculpt on an American Model body (not the new one with articulated wrists, unfortunately).

Her outfit is amazing. I think it's very much like the one from the movie--lots of layers of black and white striped chiffon, red tulle and satin, tassels, a petticoat, you name it. Her shoes are adorable wedges (she has high heel feel), made of black and red polkadot satin.

Her face is lovely, also. She has the pensive, puzzled look of Alice in the movie.

My three pet peeves:
  1. The American Model body's hands. They are sort of lifeless looking. I think for such a large scale, Tonner could make these dolls have lots of details (like separated fingers and gorgeous hands and feet), and he didn't.
  2. No rooted eyelashes. Does it add that much cost? This doll retails for $299.99, and I think eyelashes (which seem to be included on previous American Models) would add a lot.
  3. Her hair. It looks nothing like the promo photo, and there are bald spots in the back. I'm sure I can fix this with a rinse and restyle, but to me, if I pay anywhere close to $300 for a fashion doll, I expect perfection. The original Alice Kingsleigh came with perfect hair--why not duplicate that hair style, only in a larger scale?
Even those three pet peeves aside, and her larger than life price tag, this girl is simply lovely. Her face more than makes up for her hair. I'll post more photos after I fix her up.

For now, you can see more photos, including close-ups, on my Flickr photostream.
Um from Umbridge, by Tonner Doll Company. 

5 comments:

  1. for three hundred dollars I do expect perfection as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God that isn't what I paid. But still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have become more and more disgruntled with Tonner's prices in ratio to the quality of their dolls. It's not even just the details; bald spots (with dark painted scalps that supposedly hide the problem), poor stitching with white thread (that only calls attention to it), switching out of fabrics (to a cheaper type) from the prototypes...really poor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've noticed the price increases as well (and this particular hairstyle's overuse and bald spot pattern), but I hadn't noticed the decline in quality of fabrics or stitching issues--at least not with the dolls I've been ordering.

    The Gowns by Anne Harper collection, Cami & Jon and Antoinette-bodied dolls seem to be quite well-made. I can't speak for the others. But I have to say, I'm really not liking this crimped hair style at all. Rinsing out the gel fixes the bald spot issues, but whatever happened to the soft curls they used to do?

    Oh--well, I did forget that there still have been some staining issues with the shoes/hose from the Antoinette and Cami & Jon line. I adore black tights and shoes as much as the next collector, but I just don't know what it will take to get companies to deal with the staining issue. But who knows? Is it a minority of collectors who actually redress their dolls? :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always redress my dolls and mess with their hair, but we may be a minority, Alison--or at the very least not Tonner's target collectors. I don't do "cabinet babies," I want to play with my kids!

    The clothes on Tonners, though, are pretty sweet (Cap'n Jack Harkness's outfit alone would have been worth the $$ I paid for him). I'm a dolly couturier (sorta!) and prefer to make my own stuff, though--and neither I nor Tonner can hold a candle to MA Cissy clothes.

    I'm also steering away from painted eyes. For that kind of cash, I want some dimension, Mr Tonner!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your thoughtful, on-topic, and relevant comments. We'd love to start a discussion here.

Please note that links, off-topic, and irrelevant comments won't be published.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...